Saturday, February 16, 2013

Isaiah


I really like chapter 6 of Isaiah.  I think we can all relate to this chapter in some way.  At the beginning of the chapter, Isaiah feels unworthy to be standing in the midst of the angels and the Lord.  He really felt the weight of his sins and feels unnerved by it (Isaiah 6:5).  But it wasn't long before those feelings were changed.  An angel came down up Isaiah and placed a live coal upon his mouth (pictured above) and all of his sins were forgiven (6:6-7).  After Isaiah knew his sins were forgiven he had more confidence in standing before the Lord.  This can be concluded when the Lord asks who he can send to teach the people and Isaiah volunteers to do the work (6:8).

There is another example of this found in the Book of Mormon.  Alma the Younger spent a lot of time bringing people away from the Church.  It got to the point where he was struck dumb by an angel to stop him.  During this time, Alma remembered all of his sins and he was tormented by them (Alma 36:12-14).  He could not stand the thought of going before the Lord (36:15).  But he found hope.  He remembered what his father had taught him about the Atonement of Jesus Christ and he asked forgiveness of the Lord (36:17-18).  And the torment was washed away (36:19).  He was filled with joy and longed to be in the presence of God (36:20-22).

Most of the time I feel as though I am not worthy to stand before God.  I am often critical of others and do not treat them the way I should.  I am often complacent and do not do all that I should.  I get angered and lash out at my husband and kids.  I could go on for days.  All of these things make me feel as though I could never be able to look my God in the eye.  But those are the times that I call upon the power of the Atonement and feel clean again.  I feel the love that God has for me and I feel the strength to do a little better in helping others feel that love.  The Atonement is real.  God knows and loves us and wants us to use the power of the Atonement to make it back to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment