Thursday, January 17, 2013

Elijah






Elijah lived around the time of 914 BC.  Jehoshaphat was the king of Judah at the time.  He was such a faithful prophet of the Lord that he was translated, or taken up to heaven without tasting death.  He was given the priesthood keys for the sealing power and then restored that priesthood to the earth in our day.

Another prophet that was granted the sealing was Nephi, son of Helaman, in the Book of Mormon (Helaman 10: 4-10).  There are a lot of similarities between this passage and 1 Kings 17 about Elijah.  God promised Nephi that whatever Nephi would say would be done would be done.  This is because of the "unwearyingness" Nephi showed in keeping the commandments.  To me, this shows that Nephi had great faith in God.  The woman in the story of Elijah also showed great faith.  She has enough food for a tiny little meal for her and her son.  Elijah asked her to feed him.  Although she knew she did not have enough she did it anyways.  For her faith she was given enough feed for all three of them to live off of for a few weeks.  And when her son had dies, Elijah used the power of the priesthood to bring him back to life.

My life has been directly affected by Elijah the prophet.  As I mentioned earlier, he restored the sealing power to this.  For those not familiar with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and the work we do in the temple, this is the power to seal families together for all eternity and to do all saving ordinances for the living and dead.  I have partaken of these saving ordinances.  I have been baptized, received my endowments, and have been sealed to my husband for all eternity.  My life would be completely different if it were not for these ordinances.  I would not put as much focus on my family.  I probably would not even be married with kids at this time in my life.  I would not have the blessings that come from knowing my husband and children.  I would not have pure joy in my life.  For that is what these ordinances have brought into my life, pure joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment